What is the first thing people notice when they arrive at your home? Of course, it’s your front yard! Since the front of your home is the first thing people see, it should highlight the style and character of your home and make a bold statement.
Landscape lighting can create safe footpaths, gorgeous views and stunning focal points in your yard. Ambient lighting creates a soft light that covers an entire landscape area while spotlighting puts focus and attention on particular features of the landscape.
Below are some examples of how lighting can be incorporated into your landscape design, to add a “wow” factor to your curb appeal:
- Up-lighting – By aiming lights upward onto an architectural feature on the house or into trees, you can create a strong contrast between light and dark. Up-lighting creates dramatic shadows, silhouettes and intriguing effects in a front yard landscape design.
- Cross-lighting – Cross-lighting is used to light a focal point from both sides, which eliminate shadows. It’s often used to accent fountains and waterfalls, large boulders and retaining walls or fences. You can also light up the entire tree canopy for stunning effects.
- Pathway lighting – Pathway lights are used along walkways, driveways, and garden beds and borders. They are essential for safe footpaths to prevent accidents and injuries. Rather than using pathway lighting alone, combine it with ambient lighting for a more natural look.
- Step and wall cap lighting – Step lights can be a great way to create a safe set of steps, but also can create tiering and structure in the evening landscape. We also utilize step lights under wall caps or bar tops to highlight the stone textures underneath.
- Down-lighting – When lights are aimed downward from a high place, they create a diffused light that gives the feeling of moonlight. In a landscape, down lights are usually installed in trees. As the light filters downward through leaves and branches, it creates a soft glow near the ground.
Although landscape lighting is available in multiple fixture/bulb types, we utilize 100% LED fixtures in our systems. This not only reduces the energy required to operate the lighting environment, but it also reduces the need for multiple transformers and allows us to provide our clients with less maintenance due to limited bulb changes.
It’s easy to find styles and finishes that complement your home’s features within a budget you can afford. Be sure to talk to us about the benefits and effects of landscape lighting for your home.
State of the Art Landscape is the superior resource for every residential landscaping need—including integrating beautiful lighting into your landscape design. Contact us today to make an appointment for your initial consultation. We would love to have the opportunity to work with you. Call us directly at 703-421-3666 or click here.