Tag Archive for: Landscaping Ideas
Mindful ecology, organic gardening, pollinator and wildflower meadows, outdoor wellness, staycation, and low-maintenance are the keywords in landscaping design summer of 2019. If you’re looking to refresh your yard, or you’re finally getting around to transforming your backyard into an outdoor oasis, here are the latest trends to keep in mind when landscaping in North Virginia.
Inviting Mindful Ecology Into Your Backyard
It’s important to be mindful when dealing with any aspect of the environment, and that includes our gardening. At the core of mindful ecology landscaping lie concepts such as soil ecology, carbon sequestering, sustainable watering, the principles of organic gardening, and pollinator meadows.
Pollinator & Wildflower Meadows
One of the biggest trends of the year is the firm transition towards eco-friendly landscaping. Wildflower or pollinator meadows, consisting of indigenous grasses and native flowering perennials, create a healthy habitat for bee and butterfly populations as well as a beautiful landscape.
To attract pollinators to your garden, choose a variety of nectar and pollen-rich flowers. Consider as many plants native to your area as possible. Native plants evolve closely with native insects and are well-suited to meet their needs. Bear in mind that some pollinator species are entirely dependent on the existence of specific native plants. By adding these plants to your landscaping in North Virginia, you can help dwindling populations rebuild.
It’s All About Low-Maintenance
Simplifying one’s life seems to be what everybody is after these days, and why should your landscaping in North Virginia be any different?
Living in such fast-paced times, with little or no time left for pruning, weeding, and watering, a low-maintenance garden is on likely on your wish-list. Think of these pro ideas to keep your yard as low-maintenance as possible:
- Perennial plants: Go for perennial plants and even group them based on their watering needs. Choose evergreen shrubs that don’t require much attention as well as dwarf shrubs. Dwarf shrubs are resilient plants with low-maintenance needs and well-suited for smaller gardens.
- Performant Irrigation System: Invest in advanced irrigation technology because it now allows homeowners to control the quantity of water delivered to plants, encouraging a smart, eco-friendly investment.
- Set Up Raised Beds: They create less work. There are less weeding and dead-heading involved, and they are a complementary extension for modern backyard landscaping.
- Painted Structures: If you’re on a shoestring budget and still looking to upgrade your relaxing space, then painting your fences, sheds, and your summer houses will liven up your garden, without much maintenance involved. Tip: Dark grey, green, and blue fences are on trend this summer.
- Potted Plants: Pots are life-saving landscaping ideas as you have minimal weeding to do and good control over the size of the plant.
- Artificial Grass or Lawn Alternatives: Instead of a traditional lawn, plant grass mixes that don’t need to be mowed, like Habiturf® and other prairie-type grasses.
- Choose the Cottage Look: Embrace a natural look with a wildly lush cottage garden! Letting your yard run wild is the best thing you can do for low-cost landscaping. To get that savage, charming cottage look, allow your garden to grow unhindered, but plant large amounts of contrasting grasses and plants of different scales and colors throughout your yard.
Go on a Staycation!
Set up your own staycation hub. As outdoor wellness is already becoming a custom and a must in our hectic society, people are looking for more ways to enjoy a staycation in the comfort of their own garden.
To make the most of your backyard plans for landscaping in North Virginia, consider the best spots to create a hangout area. Set distinct spaces; for example, comfy lounge chairs, decadent hammocks, a lazy swing, and more. No matter how small your area is, arrange the seating in a conversational position. Include lighting to make your outdoor spaces easy to access and inviting even as the sun sets.
To make your space even more welcoming and entertaining, set up a weatherproof speaker system to enjoy music while you’re outside. And if cooking relaxes you, consider an outdoor kitchen in your designs for landscaping in North Virginia. For those looking to make their backyard a true oasis at home, a pool could be the perfect addition to your yard. You’ll never want to leave again!
Is it time for a backyard makeover? Let us bring our craftsmanship and experience to create your outdoor paradise. Request an on-site appointment with one of our passionate landscape designers today!
State of the Art Landscape
State of the Art Landscape is a full-service design-build landscaping firm serving clients throughout Northern Virginia, Maryland, and Washington, D.C. Based in Sterling, Virginia, we feature extensive capabilities including maintenance, turf, design-build, and snow removal.
State of the Art Landscape
101 Executive Drive, Suite F
Sterling, Virginia 20166