Why Don’t We Leave Leaves Alone?
“Why is it necessary to rake leaves off the lawn?” is a question that many of us have pondered. Some leaves look quite pretty lying on the grass, do they not?
You may have neighbors who are out there raking leaves obsessively in the fall. Other neighbors may not actually be raking them, but they are using blowers to clean up every last leaf. Seeing all of this activity may well have you wondering whether they know something that you don’t or are simply guilty of being neat-freaks.
Other folks feel that mulching leaves down to small pieces and allowing them to fertilize the soil is a solid practice.
The real answer is all of the above.
It Is a Matter of Lawn Health, not Just Tidiness
There is a sound reason behind raking leaves, removing leaves and mulching leaves that has to do with lawn health; it is not simply about giving your grass a tidy look. Here are some of the primary reasons why we provide these services:
- Lawns, too, have to “breathe.” They can be smothered if a thick layer of leaves is left on top of them over the winter.
- An abundance of leaves can invite pests and diseases and can cause problems like snow mold and brown patch.
- A thick layer of leaves forms a barrier that blocks water, nutrients, and a healthy air flow from getting down to the root system of your grass.
- If the leaves are really matted down, they can even keep new grass blades from emerging next spring.
- Heavy leaf accumulation can deprive the grass of sunlight. If not raked up in time or mulched, a thick and/or matted layer of fallen leaves casts too much shade over the grass below.
- Properly mulched leaves can give the soil some added nutrients as well as create an environment for healthy organisms to overwinter creating a more robust environment for the creation of better turf
What Our Clients Receive as Part of Our Fall Leaf Services
Once leaf season is upon us, we start mulching leaves right away. We do this through simply mowing over them to ensure they are small enough to be a help rather than a hindrance. After leaf season is in full swing, we start pushing the leaves toward wooded areas on the property where the leaves can break down through their normal lifecycle. If the leaf load is too high or there is nowhere to naturally lose the leaves, our last resort is collection and removal from the site.
Call us For all of you Leaf Removal Needs!
Don’t hurt your back raking leaves or ignore them hoping they’ll blow away! At State of the Art Landscape, our fast and affordable leaf clean-up service will have your yard clear of leaves and sticks in no time. Contact us today for a quote. We would love to have the opportunity to work with you. Call us directly at 703-421-3666 or click here.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!